Hi everyone, Tili here.
As we are entering our last semester for this year, I thought I would share a couple of study tips from a sad procrastinator with a short attention span.
Aka. I’m going to try and make studying as enjoyable as possible 🙂
You’re going to need to be as effective as possible when studying so try a couple of these.
- Classical Music Study Session
- Dear Diary #2: In Case Dropping Out Seems Like A Good Idea (A Message From A Friend To A Friend)
- Food. Always have food. It sounds obvious but your brain actually needs fuel to function. It’s much harder to concentrate with an empty stomach than a full one. So grab a bowl, fill it with some crips, nuts, frozen fruit, whatever you enjoy snacking on, and make sure it’s in reach.
- Water. ahah sorry but you need that too. This can always be substituted with tea or juice but don’t go too heavy on the coffee. Caffeine can really help, however, if you’re already stressed out your mind will literally go into an anxious over drive.-10000/10 . (People who know me might find this a tiny bit hypocritcal: I’m talking from personal experience ok)
- Stationery. I cannot express how good it feels to use and write with nice pens, a colour code and matching revision cards. Not only will this make re-reading your notes that bit easier, it’ll also make you want to work more. As a matter of practicality, you don’t want to be getting up to find something whilst you’re mid revision. Gather all your material close to you and make sure you’ve got everything <3
- Fail to plan, plan to fail. You can’t expect to get your work done if you don’t even know what you need to do. Even if it’s just on a sticky note, or the corner of a photocopy, write down what you need to do and when it’s for.
- You may not be able to do everything in one session so break up your big projects and remember to prioritise. I personally try and complete my little pieces of homework before moving onto projects. Simply because at least I don’t have to worry about completing them if I start running late on an essay I have to hand in etc.
A Studying Mindset
- WATCH POMODORO STUDY SESSION VIDEOS !!!! You effectively study along with someone with 25 minutes then take a 5 minute break x 4. This has helped me SO much 🙂 Here’s my favorite channel (angela is awesome) ->
- Music. Okay this really depends on the work. For example, right now I’m listening to SZA, but I would recommend music without lyrics. Whatever you decide to do, please don’t wear headphones whilst studying, at least not the whole time. Your ears will ache and this is actually really bad for you (not matter how quiet it is, it’ll start hurting your ears after a certain time). (check out my Classical Music Study session here)
- Subliminals Vs Meditation. I really enjoy subliminals but I recognise that they’re a bit unsafe and not reliable in the long term. Practicing meditation can be life changing though. Try using a guided meditation (you can find these on spotify or youtube) to center yourself before working and observe the difference.
Be kind to yourself please. Some days we’re super productive, other days we just want to curl up and go to sleep. Any work you manage to do is good work.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, stop. Go for a walk, stroke your cat or make a cup of tea. Recharge. Try and split up your work into smaller pieces of work and then move from there.
Your brain is an amazing thing and so are you. You can do this. Don’t hesitate to look up youtube videos for explanations: use all the resources at your disposal. Make sure you don’t stay on the same subject for 2+ hours, you will end up feeling crazy.
Last of all, don’t be afraid to ask for help. We’re all in the same boat.
Try and use some of these next time you work. Tell me whether they help 🙂